[mythtv-users] Moving from Cable to Satellite

peter at vanderwal.us peter at vanderwal.us
Thu Jun 12 07:48:58 UTC 2008

I have DirecTV.  When I moved 18 months ago they gave me a new STB free,
it's a D11.

I use the S-video output from the box into my PVR-350.
There are two ways to control the STB, you can use an IRblaster or direct
control it through a serial port.

The complete instructions for using the serial port are:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB

The latest directv.pl
http://www.pdp8.net/directv/directv.shtml

FWIW, my mobo has the plugs fir serial ports, but didn't come with the
actual D9 connectors.  So I just used another USB to serial adapter.

Whichever way you go, make sure to setup permissions on the port so the
mythtv user can access it.