[mythtv-users] HD recording

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Jun 11 18:19:32 UTC 2008

>On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Greg Woods
><greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>
>> This seems to vary a lot, depending on what type of cable
>box you have,
>> what kind of firewire chip you have, which kernel version you are
>> running, etc. Firewire is iffy. It may in fact be easier to
>use a device
>> such as the HDHomerun which is well supported in MythTV, far
>easier to
>> set up, and more reliable than firewire, but of course it does cost
>> extra.
>
>As a data point, when compared to the cost of renting 2 "HD-package"
>cable boxes from my cable company (which would only pass the broadcast
>networks in the clear via firewire), my HDHomerun paid for itself in
>exactly 2 months.

Your cable boxes cost $40 per month to rent? Mine cost $8 per month even
after you include all the extra taxes. Seems it would take 10 months for me
to equal the cost of an hdhomerun, and then again, you're limited with the
hdhomerun cause you can't get anything other than clear channels. Though you
can't get much more via firewire, you can still get other channels from the
cable box using svideo.
-Steve