[mythtv-users] MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 10 18:21:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 04:23:54PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I think a lot of consumers will eventually be pushed to piracy for the
> same reason. It's too difficult/expensive to comply with DRM. For me,
> I'll just stick to watching movies when they come on TV or come in via
> NetFlix.

It's not piracy.  The first sale doctrine has been upheld for
*software*, fercrissake; I'm absolutely certain it applies to movies.

So, as long as you're not charging admission, you play back that movie
you *purchased* on any device you like, Brad.

Cheers
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)