[mythtv-users] HD-PVR weirdness

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 10 04:05:10 UTC 2008

On Monday 09 June 2008 21:43:04 Justin Kim wrote:
> At 8:35 PM -0700 6/9/08, Steve Heistand wrote:
> >what are you using to "view" the stream?
> >the bypass or the usb stream?
> >would like to test mine for heat issues but didnt want to
> >have to install sagetv to see if I have an overheating issue.
>
> I'm using the included TotalMedia Extreme running in an XP Paralells
> VM on my Macbook Pro.
>
> Stream is still going strong, ice packs slowly melting :)

Something is definitely amiss with that particular unit. I've had one running
for about 9 hours now, made a few 1 hour recordings and watched in preview
all the time. This is with a PC (AMD FX60) and the included software.

The unit is slightly warm, not even as warm as my sat receiver or any other
piece of consumer electronics usually gets. This is with it sitting on a
carpet, so I'm not even getting the lower airflow.

If anyone has a way to view the stream via Linux I'd appreciate a pointer or
two :-)

beww