[mythtv-users] Mobo Advice - 7050/8200/690G/780G ?

lindsay.mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 10 02:48:28 UTC 2008

Bit of a list I know :) but they're all price competitive.
Its a good time to be buying integrated M/B's, but the
driver support is an issue :(

Basically looking to playback SD and occasional HD (no
H.264). CPU will be at least a AMD 4800+, output will be
DVI/HDMI to a good quality plasma. Not fussed re XvMC
support.

Just agonising over the M/B.

Asus M2N-VM-DVI F7050
- NVidia 7050
- Seems well supported by Linux,
- XvMC
- Older now

Asus M3N78-EMH HDMI
- NVidia 8200
- Recent reports seem to indicate it barely works under
Linux which surprises me, is this really the case?

Asus M2A-VM AM2 AMD690G
- 690G Chipset
- ATI Radeon X1250
- XvMC?
- Linux Support?
- Older now

Asus M3A78-EMH-HDMI AM2+ AMD780G
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD780G
- 790G Chipset
- ATI Radeon HD3200
- XvMC?
- Linux Support?

The feature set of the 780G is great but I tend towards
NVidia video as the driver support seems better. Have had
bad experiences with ATI in the past ...

However the 8200 seems to be a non-starter at the the moment
and the 7050 is near obsolete. But so long as I can play SD
and HD why should I care?

Opinions?

Thanks - Lindsay

Lindsay