[mythtv-users] MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 9 23:19:23 UTC 2008

On Monday 09 June 2008 17:01:09 Ronald Frazier wrote:
> Their justification is so flawed.
>
> It will help speed the adoption of DTV for the Feb 2009 switchover?
> Please. In what way? People are going to say "well, I wasn't going to
> buy a HDTV, but now that some movies are being shown a few months
> earlier I guess I've got to get one"? Yeah...somehow I'm not buying it
>
> Second, the issue is about stopping casual piracy. Except the DVRs
> that this would mostly effect (mostly TiVo and cable companies) are
> also the devices that do not allow sharing recordings. So it's
> basically "we need this so we can stop you from doing things you
> already can't do"
>
> Finally. The broadcast flag was already struck down. How is this
> anything other than the broadcast flag (except for the fact that they
> don't actually use the term "broadcast flag")?

Yep, it's the broadcast flag in another guise. Note that Vista is apparently
honoring the flag.

Make no mistake, they will get their way, one way or another.

Too bad they don't realize that this will not solve their "problem", which is
commercial pirates, not somebody sitting in their living room.

Maybe they should call this "real advantage video ???"

beww