[mythtv-users] System upgrade - 150 ( 200 ) to spend

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Mon Jun 9 20:19:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com>

> What exactly is the issue with the Nvidia drivers? I'm running 8.04 on my
> box and the drivers *seem* to be working... but you've got me concerned now.
> Mark
Apparently Nvidia dropped support for CPU's that don't support SSE (i.e.
pre-PIII, AMD Duron and Atholon I think), when using OpenGL. Many people
have solved the problem by rolling back to older drivers. That shouldn't be
a problem at all in Ubuntu. I have a PIII with a FX5200 running the default
Nvidia drivers and I haven't had any problems. As long as you have SSE you
don't need to worry.