[mythtv-users] Sloooow database

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:58:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> The original message indicated he did this already.  My gut says the
>> 512MB is far too little despite assertations otherwise.
>
> We never got solid numbers from top to see how much swap is being used
> (if at all). My gut says he's running transcode jobs, commercial flag
> jobs, some other processes and he's swapping RAM which absolutely
> kills mysql performance. RAM is cheap. Get more. :)

While I don't do any transcoding, I do run commflagging on my backend
machine which has only 512MB ram.  I've never had any performance
issues of any sort.

One factor in this however may be the fact that I'm doing only OTA, so
I have a really small number of channels and corresponding guide data.
 I'd imagine that's a factor for at least some DB activity, especially
scheduling.

When I built this machine I fully planned on adding ram, but after I
got it going I never saw any reason.  I've never even seen the 'free'
command show any significant sign of swapping actually.  Same for my
frontend actually...even watching HD I don't see it using more than
half of its 512MB.

Tom