[mythtv-users] firewire to change channel but use coax to record

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:52:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Scott Bickford <bic1ster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am still having problems recording from firewire (SA4250 STB) from time to
>> time, but for whatever reason channel change works ok (without a script).
>> So, instead of  getting an  IR blaster, I   thought I saw a thread about
>> using firewire to change channel on STB and use a tuner (connected to STB
>> via coax) (in my case a PVR-350) to record.  Obviously, because I am
>> writing, I thought I had seen it under input groups and/or mythtv
>> documentation, but just cannot find it.  How do I set this up?
>
> Using a script that changes channels via firewire.  A couple examples
> are in the contrib folder of the mythtv source under channel_changers.
>  Then you just put the script in as the channel changer script.
>
> Kevin

Scott:

I do this with a DCT-6200 using the 6200ch script from the
channel_changers directory.  I capture the video and audio using the
composite and RCA audio jacks on a PVR-150 and will move to the
component input on the new Hauppauge device when I move to HD.  I'm on
Fedora 8 and it works reasonably well, unless the nanny accidentally
powers down the STB.  I'm sure there is some way to check the power
status and power up the STB if necessary through firewire, I just
haven't looked into it.

FYI, be **very** careful to fully cover the IR receiver of the STB if
it is going to be out in the open where a remote might get pointed in
its direction.

George