[mythtv-users] Reccomend dvd .iso to avi process

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jun 9 14:05:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:33:30PM +1000, victor rajewski wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Nicholas Magers
> <Nicholas.Magers at lands.nsw.gov.au> wrote:
> > I have lots of dvd copies in .iso format and would like to convert them to
> > .avi. Could anyone recommend a process? Thanks.
>
> I assume you want to automate it... if not use dvd::rip. If so the
> tricky bit is picking the right title out of the disc. dvd::rip will
> choose the longest one by default but that's not automatic. lxdvdrip

    I use a tool called lsdvd to determine what titles are on the disc
and how long they are. Then I have a couple of variables set in the
script that control min and max length.

    Touching every title can make the rip take forever as can ripping
any title that corresponds to "show all".

> can let you specify title 0 which will choose the longest one, but it
> doesn't transcode. 'transcode' transcodes (in fact that's what myth
> uses internally), but doesn't pick the longest title. You might need
> to string together a couple of tools (maybe lsdvd, parse the output
> and pass the longest title to transcode?)
>
> or maybe there is an easier way...

     ...if you find one, tell the rest of us. '-)