[mythtv-users] Auto power-off of speaker amplifier...

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Jun 8 18:46:45 UTC 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Matt Nelson wrote:

> In my main family room I have a mythfrontend that sends all of its
> audio through a spdif cable to a Yamaha receiver.  The problem that
> I have it that currently I leave my receiver on all the time.  This
> takes up a lot of power that is not needed when there is no audio
> playing.  I have a script that uses the ir transmitter to poweroff
> the the receiver, but I don't know how to automate this?
>
> Is there a way to run the script if there has been no audio for 15
> minutes?  And how would I execute the poweron script prior to
> playing something?
>
> Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I thank you and my power bill will thank you.
> -Matt

Not the solution you asked for, but I solved this by using a Harmony
remote. When I hit the Power Off button, it powers off my TV and my
Receiver and also brings MythTV to the main menu so everything is
using as little power as possible while still leaving my mythtv box
running. Then when I watch something, I hit a custom "Watch
Recordings" button which powers on the right stuff and brings MythTV
to the Watch Recordings page.

You don't have to get a Harmony remote to do this since there are lots
of remotes that allow for macros, but this was the easiest for me to
get working and my kids no longer leave the TV on LiveTV with this
setup. :)