[mythtv-users] MythTV on AppleTV

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Sun Jun 8 12:04:54 UTC 2008

I've spent the last two days trying to get MythTV Frontend installed
on my AppleTV. Has anyone been able to do this? I've followed every
set of instructions I've found about getting Linux installed on
AppleTV - even the ones that take you through booting into linux and
end with "Ok, now install the Linux distro of your choice and you're
all done!". Argh!

Anyway, I'm at the point where I can boot the AppleTV either on its
own or with a USB drive and get to the penbuntu login prompt. I can
log in as root. I can format file systems, mount file systems, etc. I
have a partition on my USB drive with the contents of the
MythBuntu .iso copied onto it.

To get this far, I followed:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/BootingLiveCD

Then I followed the instructions to get the MythBuntu install to
launch correctly. Then I went through the steps of installing
MythBuntu following these directions:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/InstallMythBuntu
The Post Install Fixes instructions were a little confusing because
while I was using a USB drive to boot, I installed onto the internal
drive of the AppleTV.

Anyway, the process appeared to finish correctly. I reboot the machine
and it drops me to the same penbuntu login prompt as I got before I
started the install. WTF? What now?
Any other tips from people who have done this? I've installed about 5
times now with Debian, Ubuntu, MythBuntu and they all have their own
issues. If someone has some solid instructions on how to do this from
beginning to end with a USB drive I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Brad

So I take it you decided not to install Gentoo on it even after originally
following those instructions. That's fine.

If you installed the boot loader onto the internal HDD then you should not
be using the pen to boot as that will boot from the USB into a recovery
mode.
If you installed the boot loader onto the internal HDD as well as your linux
flavor, it should be detecting your grub configuration file and booting into
the linux partition after loading the boot loader.
It sounds like you do not have grub setup correctly or at all so that the
boot loader just loads itself.

Marc