[mythtv-users] Does transcode use storage groups?

Niklas Brunlid prefect47 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 21:06:45 UTC 2008

On 07/06/2008, Niklas Brunlid <prefect47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just half-manually transcoded (lossless) a months worth of
>  recordings, and it looks like mythtranscode always writes its results
>  to the old mythtv recordings directory (in my case /myth/disk4/,
>  formerly /myth/tv/) instead of spreading it out over the recording
>  group (/myth/disk[1-4]).
>
>  This lead to the loss of half of the next-to-last recording I edited,
>  and all of the last one (which got transcoded from 1GB to 40KB!) since
>  the space on the destination drive ran out, before I noticed what had
>  happened. :(
>
>  So I have two questions:
>  * Does mythtranscode use recording groups?
>  * If not, will it abort the transcode if it runs out of space?

In usual order, I realized something after I clicked on "send"... :)

I used the mytharchive perl script before I upgraded to 0.21 and
started using storage groups, and since the transcoded recordings were
old they were most likely symlinks from my old recordings directory to
one of the other disks in the storage groups... so the questions
become:

* Does mythtranscode follow symlinks, and store the transcoded video
where the source actually resides (my guess is; probably not)?
* If the destination drive runs out of space during the transcoding,
will mythtranscode abort and leave everything as it was before it
started?

/ Niklas