[mythtv-users] Mythtv on PS3

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 7 00:30:26 UTC 2008

> My PS3 draws over 200 watts at idle, more if you ask it to do something. Bit
> much for a F/E IMHO.
> My PS3 draws over 200 watts at idle, more if you ask it to do something. Bit
> much for a F/E IMHO.

Yeah good point, it really does throw out some heat too (whatever you do don't try putting it in a cabinet, mine's overheated 4 times already, I've resorted to standing it on the (wooden) floor next to the TV) and the fan is, well not noisy but loud enough to be intrusive I find. Also, since Sony refuse to open up the graphics card you're stuck with no hardware acceleration in linux. I tried ubuntu on mine a while back but it wouldn't even play DivX without stuttering. Shame, because in terms of raw processing power it's the biggest bang-for-the-buck money can buy right now, it's just crippled running anything other than Son'y OS. Might be worth a go if you've got a nice HD TV and some time on your hands, but otherwise I'd forget the idea.

Mark