[mythtv-users] Mythtv on PS3

Gordon McCrae gordon-mccrae at bluebottle.com
Fri Jun 6 21:49:14 UTC 2008

Emery Guevremont wrote:
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>> If all you want is to run myth on a desktop PC and watch the recordings on the PS3, it's not necessary to put Linux on the PS3. So long as you've got myth's upnp plugin installed and you connect the PS3 to your network, the PS3 will automatically find the myth box and allow you to browse and watch recordings on your TV. Works like a charm for me.
>>
> I'm more interested in using it as a full blown FE. Allowing me to
> watch live TV, pause, playback, record, skip commercials...
The last I checked, there are problems with Mythfrontend on PS3 Linux
due to the restricted access to video adapter.

I'm just about to try OpenSuSE 11.0 RC1 on my son's shiny new PS3,
bought of course purely for HIS enjoyment; I would never think of buying
any of my children gifts that were really for me.

I'll let you know how I get on with mythfrontend in that setup.

As other people have noted, mythbackend's UPNP mediacentre support
allows PS3 to play video (MPEG and DivX) from a mythbackend, however no
live TV etc.

Gordon