[mythtv-users] Xbox DVD remote

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Fri Jun 6 20:16:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Is it still slow as can be?  In 0.20 menu navigation and timeshifting
> > on the xbox was just too slow to be usable.  The last I saw there was
> > some added MythTV functionally being built into xbmc though (not via
> > the python addon).
>
> The latest version of XBMC supports MythTV as one of the protocols you
> can set up as a video source. It seems to work pretty well. Also, you
> no longer have to get a modified version of mplayer to play NUV files
> which is a big step forward.

I have XBMC and 0.21 on my xbox. Mythfrontend seems to run ok for me. This
is the only version I have ever run though, so I can't really compare it to
older versions. Navigation and stuff is a little slower than on my PC but it
functions just fine. I think I read someone else saying that things ran
faster for them. I don't use the xbox very much, so I tend to just use XBMC.
It loads almost instantly instead of having to wait a few minutes for linux
to boot. XBMC works fine for watching an occasional TV show or movie. It
doesn't have commercial skip, but you can jump through the commercials in 30
second increments. That works fine for me. I have found that I have to tell
XBMC to use mplayer instead of its default player when watching MythTV stuff
or things will be pause and skip. You have to pick mplayer everytime you
watch a show. I can't find a way to change the default player to mplayer.