[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:28:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:19 AM, kim Gross <kgross at jensalt.com> wrote:

> I have done it and it worked fine.  I started out my array with 4 250
> gig drives and 1 200 gig drive.  When the array was first set-up all
> drives were partitioned at 200 gig, and I was going to do a second array
> of the extra 50 gigs on the other drives.  About a week after I set up
> the array I got a 250 gig drive to replace the 200, so I partitioned it
> to the full 250, removed the 200 from the array and added the 250,
> rebuilt the array.

Thanks - glad to know that it in fact has been done!

When you do the --add, mdadm didn't complain that all of the
partitions were not the same size?

>Then I repartitioned the other drives and rebuilt
> the array one at a time.  After all drives were repartitioned and the
> array rebuilt, I grew the array without any problems.

I can find examples of adding disks in grow mode, but not any examples
of how to change the size of the entire array.

Something like: mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --size=<size of the sum of the
bigger partitions in some strange units...>