[mythtv-users] VGA to S-video adapters, do they work?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jun 5 19:43:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:
> I am switching my frontend over to some new hardware that a friend donated
> to me. I had planned on just switching my FX5200 from my old frontend into
> the new system. Unfortunately, it is an AGP card and the new system is PCI
> only. The Mrs. would rather I not spend anymore money or time on this
> project at the moment. So I would like to just get a VGA to S-Video adapter
> (like this http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html) and use
> it with the intel integrated graphics. Does anybody have any experience
> getting one of these to work? Am I just going to have to buy another card?

The answer is almost certainly no.  These adapters only work with
certain video cards that have S-Video imbeded in the pinouts.  Look at
the reviews for these things and you find a long list of unhappy
customers.

This will work: http://www.aitech.com/products/multipro.htm but a
video card is cheaper.

I happen to be looking for a MB that has S-Video (and DVI and S/PDIF).
 Hard to find.

Allen