[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

J.D. mythtv at demuth.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 5 18:38:07 UTC 2008

On 6/5/2008 David Brodbeck wrote:
> From an uptime standpoint hardware RAID is sometimes better because,
> with the proper drive bays, it supports hot-swapping a failed drive.
> I'm still not entirely clear on whether Linux's software RAID does; I've
> heard rumors that it does, but I'm kind of afraid to test it, given the
> dire warnings in some of the RAID HOWTOs.
The SATA II spec supports hot-plugging and recent kernels are
implementing it for more and more common chipsets (e.g. 2.6.24
introduces support for the
NVidia nForce 5 SATA controllers I have). Check out the status for
individual chipsets here: http://linux-ata.org/software-status.html

If you spend ~ $20/drive for hot-swap capable bays (I personally use
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994027, but
there are many out there) you have an almost professional setup for the
enthusiast home user.

I'm using it for ~ 15mo and it works fine for me.

J.D.