[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 17:43:31 UTC 2008

> From an uptime standpoint hardware RAID is sometimes better because,
> with the proper drive bays, it supports hot-swapping a failed drive.
> I'm still not entirely clear on whether Linux's software RAID does; I've
> heard rumors that it does, but I'm kind of afraid to test it, given the
> dire warnings in some of the RAID HOWTOs.

I have done this 5 to 10 times as at work I have > 50 drives in raid
(5 and 6) at the moment (10 to 15 TB). On promise sx8 cards this
worked 3 to 4 years ago with early 2.6 kernels. However in the last 2
years  I have successfully done this with $14 4 port PCI  SATA cards
and also nVidia nForce 4 motherboard sata ports.

John