[mythtv-users] HD-PVR component video

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Thu Jun 5 16:55:44 UTC 2008

> Greg wrote:
>

> | |
> | | Then you call and tell them your TV only has component inputs and
> | | demand a box that you can use with your TV. They have to comply.
> |

> | I wonder if thats the same "comply" law that Time warner completely
> | ignores..... at least in my area of upstate NY.  Ive repeatedly asked
> | for an hd box that has a firewire port enabled..... they keep telling me
> | "that functionality is not available"  I never heard a word back from
> | the FCC after I complained to them either.
> |

> | I live in Upstate NY...Saratoga Springs...I have fire wire on my SA
> | 4250...I just asked for it....
>

> I messed with mine, and found that the ports were off.  I called the
> local office in norwich, and the first person I spoke to after I asked
> if they could turn firewire on my hd box on, she transferred me to tech
> support.  tech support 800# asked me what kind if internet connection I
> had...... uhh... I told them it had nothing to do with my internet
> connection.  then she asked me what firewire was, I told her IEEE1394,
> she never heard of it  "we dont use any ports on the boxes except hdmi,
> component, or cable"  was her answer.

Hmmm....I'm no big fan of Time-Warner Cable (or any other cable company,
for that matter), but I have to admit that I didn't have any problems
getting them to enable Firewire on my DCT-6200s.  I had to go up to a
second-level tech support person, but when I requested that they turn it
on, and mentioned that the FCC has mandated that it be available, she just
"flipped the switch" (figuratively?) and reset my connection...voila -
Firewire works.  She was actually quite pleasant about it, too.  Of
course, I can't record anything from it that I can't get on my pcHD-5500
QAM tuners or the HDHR.  But, hey, it's better than nothing.

Bob

I thought this was funny, the last time I spoke to a support person at
Comcast he was questioning me about my myth setup because he was in the
process of setting his own system up and he had questions about setting up
HD.

Marc