[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Glen Dragon gad at jetcom.org
Thu Jun 5 03:31:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:10 AM, James Klaas
> <jklaas at appalachian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Matt Nelson <matt at frozenatom.com>
> wrote:
> >> On one of my mythtv backend servers I host my fileserver that stores all
> of
> >> my media on two raid5 sets totaling 12 drives that are all attached via
> >> sata.  These are all attached externally, and that is where my question
> >> lies, if I connect these drives incorrectly will my raid sets die, or
> does
> >> it not matter where they are connected since there is some metadata that
> >> tells the linux software raid that it belongs to a certain raid set?
> >>

> >> Also since I love seeing how people are setting up their mythboxes,
> attached
> >> is a picture of the back of the myth backend server mentioned above.
> >>
> >> http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05310720471ot5.jpg
> >
> > Did you consider using a SATA port multiplier
> > (http://www.satadrives.com/saii1to5popo.html)?  I think these are
> > pretty well supported by recent kernels, although I'm not sure how
> > well they're supported by non-SiliconImage chipsets.  Does anyone have
> > an opinion on those?
> >
> > James
>
> I'm about to try something like that out in the next couple of weeks.
> I have a sil 3124 based controller on it's way to see if it's
> compatible with my file server PCI-X implementation and then I've been
> looking at these:
>
> http://addonics.com/products/host_controller/extpm.asp
>
> According to the research I've done at http://linux-ata.org/ support
> for both the 3124 and the 3726 PMP is good as of kernel 2.6.25, which
> is bleeding edge and beyond most mainstream distributions, but I'm on
> gentoo so it's not really an issue.  Using this sort of solution it's
> possible to get to 20 ports of eSATA which should scale for quite some
> time; 18TB RAID6 array anyone?  Then your problem becomes finding a
> filesystem that will scale to that.  Though with mythtv that's no
> longer an issue thanks to storage groups assuming you can stand losing
> some TV.

I am running a 5->1 Port Multiplier into a PCIe 1x card with an 5x internal
hotswap enclosure.. Currently I have 3 x 750s in there.  (in additional to
my older array 6x300).  Everything works great,  Been running for 4 months
now. Currently running 2.6.24-zen4, for 51days.  I'm using the 2nd array
solely for my myth video.   In the near future, I will likely add 2 more
750s to bring my myth array up to ~3TB.   You never have enough space.

Links:
http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gpx1-e.asp
http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm.asp
http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/ae4rcs35nsa.asp