[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jun 5 00:37:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Cool Frood <aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  I posted the link to my setup in
>>> a previous reply, but I'll add it again just for fun...
>>>

>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Lynchmv#Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_USB_Pro_Stick_notes
>>>
>>> I can record shows, watch live tv and do everything that MythTV does
>>> with regular tuners with this nifty little USB stick.  It is the 4th
>>> tuner in my system and I got it really just to see if it would work
>>> and to see what OTA HD channels I could pick up out in the sticks.
>>
>> A word of caution for those interested  in one of these devices: as the wiki
>> entry about notes, getting the HD Pro Stick working requires building and
>> installing a forked version of the v4l-dvb kernel module that may not work
>> with your currently installed v4l devices.
>>
>> I've bought one of these about 18 months ago and eventually got it working,
>> but as of three months ago, the Markus Rechberger fork of the v4l-dvb kernel
>> module was incompatible with my PVR-150, and there have been only three
>> commits to the hg repository since then.
>>
>> Furthermore,  the Rechberger fork has been out of the v4l trunk for 11
>> months now, and last I checked there was noreturn in sight due to a
>> personality conflict between the developers involved (search the v4l mailing
>> list archives for details).
>>
>> So, beware that you are getting into a less-than-fully-supported situation
>> before buying one of these things.
>>
>> -chris
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> I have a HVR-950 that I'm trying to get to work along with my PVR-150
> and I'm getting into an OOPS on a 2.6.24 64-bit kernel.  Could you
> explain what it took you to get the two of them working together?  I
> could return the 950, but I want to give a shot at making it work
> before I do.
>
> -Akshat

Hi,

I found the following post very useful.  This assumes you are suing
8.04 and an early version so be careful.  Check and see if things have
changed before using it.  Also, check out this post
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-May/223969.html

The clip below is from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/204578

Allen

 MarkusRechberger  wrote on 2008-05-19:  (permalink)

please do not use those packages in any tutorials because they will be
updated frequently and the version number will be raised.
I will set up a site on mcentral.de which keeps track of the latest
packages also for other distributions.

Installation:
open a terminal and run following command, this will show up one of
the extension used within the driver name for the specific kernel.

This is an example for 32bit Ubuntu Hardy 19. May 2008:
$ uname -r
2.6.24-16-generic
$ wget http://mcentral.de/empiatech/distris/ubuntu/hardy/empia-2.6.24-16-generic-2_i386.deb
$ dpkg -i empia-2.6.24-16-generic-2_i386.deb

i386 stands for 32bit systems
amd64 in general for 64bit systems

== i386/32 bit ==

http://mcentral.de/empiatech/distris/ubuntu/hardy/empia-2.6.24-16-386-2_i386.deb