[mythtv-users] HD-PVR component video

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:05:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Rick <ve1gn at nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I'm having a brain fart I think.  I understand how the HD-PVR works to
> the computer but how do you go from the computer to the TV?  I don't see
> too many video cards with component output.  Do you use DVI > HDMI?
> Won't copy prevention defeat that?  I'm confused.

One the video is inside the computer, it's in digital form.  The hardware in
your input device has converted the unencrypted signal from analog to
digital and stored it on your hard drive (in the case of analog component
input).  At this point there is no encryption (and if it was encrypted, you
wouldn't have been able to read the signal in the first place).  You can
then output it through whatever medium you have hardware for.  Just because
it gets to the computer over component connectors doesn't mean it has to go
out that way.  Medium != message.  Does this help?

-Jerry