[mythtv-users] Cheap UK frontend?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Wed Jun 4 14:01:26 UTC 2008

Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I was hoping cheaper that that - but a laptop with svideo out should
>  do the trick.
>  Are many people using the mvp?

I have an original Media MVP on an old fashioned CRT connected via
SCART and also a mini-itx board connected via VGA to a new LCD panel.

The mini-itx board just drives a VGA connector which gives great
quality and I have to say running full mythfrontend gives you access
to all the features.  The one feature I really miss on the MVP is the
ability to play fast (eg x 1.2).  The mini-itx board runs diskless
network booted http://minimyth.org/.

The MVP works well for basic myth playing also.  Mine does sometimes
lock up when skipping recordings I don't know why.  It is good value

>  Anyone using a PIII 900Mhz laptop (I have a spare IBM T22) and
>  powering it over ethernet?

My old 750 MHz PIII laptop was quite capable of running mythfrontend
for SD also.