[mythtv-users] Cheap UK frontend?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:17:17 UTC 2008

2008/6/4 Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com>:

> I was hoping cheaper that that - but a laptop with svideo out should
> do the trick.

Just make sure it's clean and well cooled, Laptops aren't really designed
for heavy CPU intensive use like this, so it'll need regular maintanence.
(well, a quick hoover of the fan ports every so often.)

> Anyone using a PIII 900Mhz laptop (I have a spare IBM T22) and
> powering it over ethernet?

I've been (absent mindedly) trying to get my 750MHz PIII laptop going, but
the version of mythbuntu I was using wasn't compatable with 0.21. (It's an
XP laptop I was netbooting mythbuntu.) Haven't got round to trying it with
the latest live CD, however in XP the laptop can  easly handle MPEG2 (My
celeron 400 could handle MPEG2) and can just about manage to decode 720 xVid
if you don't sneeze near it whilst it's doing it.

It's not got anything fancy for the gfx too (it's an old Tosh Sat pro 4600)
so I have hopes getting myth working ok.