[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Carl L. Gilbert clg-social at rigidsoftware.com
Wed Jun 4 02:42:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 17:41 +0200, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> Matt Nelson wrote:
> > On one of my mythtv backend servers I host my fileserver that stores all
> > of my media on two raid5 sets totaling 12 drives that are all attached
> > via sata.  These are all attached externally, and that is where my
> > question lies, if I connect these drives incorrectly will my raid sets
> > die, or does it not matter where they are connected since there is some
> > metadata that tells the linux software raid that it belongs to a certain
> > raid set?
>
> Yes, Linux software RAID will work regardless of the drive order. Your
> only order concern is the boot drive.

No, this is not guaranteed.  It depends on the distro and how the drives
are referenced.  I think more recent distros should work.  But I know
for a fact that older ones would not.  Like old Redhat versions where I
first cut my teeth on RAID.

Anyway, just step up to hardware RAID and don't even think about it
anymore.