[mythtv-users] Is this a good system spec?

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Tue Jun 3 21:41:22 UTC 2008

On 6/3/08, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 22:08 -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > I've heard rumours that SATA optical drives can be problematic under
> > Linux, but personally, I've not seen anything one way or another.  I'll
> > find out myself someday as I have a SATA optical in my parts list as
> > well.  :-)
> >
>  I would like to add that I have two ASUS SATA DVD-RW drives (Model
> DRW-1814BLT and  DRW-2014L1T) running under Linux and have had nothing
> but good experiences with them.

Good!  I have a Lite-on that needs a BIOS flash to work properly, and
they distribute the update in a self-decrypting windows .exe file.  So
it's a brick in my machine (destined for my next gaming rig) as it
will only read CD media without the upgrade.  I have other machines
but none running windows that can plug up to a SATA drive at the
moment.

Not a SATA issue per se, but a possible gotcha - do your homework if
you don't have a windows boot partition, and either pick a
manufacturer that supports linux flashing, or pick a drive that
doesn't need it out of the box!