[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Tue Jun 3 16:00:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:41:03PM +0200, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> Matt Nelson wrote:
> > On one of my mythtv backend servers I host my fileserver that stores all
> > of my media on two raid5 sets totaling 12 drives that are all attached
> > via sata.  These are all attached externally, and that is where my
> > question lies, if I connect these drives incorrectly will my raid sets
> > die, or does it not matter where they are connected since there is some
> > metadata that tells the linux software raid that it belongs to a certain
> > raid set?
>
> Yes, Linux software RAID will work regardless of the drive order. Your
> only order concern is the boot drive.

Well, that's mostly true.

The filesystems will be mounted according to the instructions in
/etc/fstab. If fstab specifies them by UUID or volume label,
then they will always be mounted in the same location.

If, however, you have chosen to mount them by their device
names, it is possible that reboots with changed hardware
configurations (even as little as booting with a USB stick or a
memory card in a slot) can change the order. udev rules can
mitigate that.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.