[mythtv-users] Re : Faster CPU and more RAM in SD frontend or backend?

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Tue Jun 3 14:01:29 UTC 2008

manu schreef op 3-6-2008 4:03:
  > Well the only task that needs some CPU power is the transcoding. I am
> not quite sure how much though when transcoding from MPEG2 to Xvid in
> SD.
> But in any case transcoding can be done in the background as it is not
> time critical, so I would not say its a big deal.
> The frontend must be capable though. That means RAM and CPU, though
> this depends on whether or not you're using XvMC (but for now it is
> limited to MPEG2 decoding).
> Others with actual experience and hardware can elaborate a bit.
> Bye
> Manu

Well I'm going to switch to a solution with a Intel D201GLY2 and 2 GB
with a dual-tuner as a backend and a Athlon XP 3000+ and 1 GB a single
tuner and a nvidia 6200 as a frontend combined with the ocassional
laptop being used as a frontend at several locations in the house.
The frontend is going to be diskless.

I'm going to let it do comm-detect in the night as well as transcode in
the night, that way those tasks don't get in the way of enjoying media.

That way I can save a little on energy(40-45 Watt full load, compared to
80-90 now) and lower temperature in my hallway ;)

Roughly you can say I'm going the same way as TS.

Regards,

Jos