[mythtv-users] hd homerun and STB

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 02:22:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> |> The item you purchased doesn't do what you seem to think it does.
> Those 10
> |> channels you see are probably exactly what you are supposed to see.
> Hooking
> |> after the STB and expecting to tune, let alone, tune all 700 of those
> |> channels is something you should realize will not work.
> |
> | Yea, the HDHR can receive off-air ATSC or unencrypted QAM from a cable
> system.
> |
> | If you want to receive encrypted QAM signals you must use an STB and a
> capture
> | device that accepts the output of the STB, generally either baseband or
> | sometimes RF.
> what do you mean by that..... I have to have something between the STB,
> and the HDHR? besides the cable running between the 2?

It means that the HDHR can *only* handle unencrypted data.  Your STB
is necessary to decrypt the encrypted channels, and you would need
something like this:

to then capture the output from the STB.  In other words, the HDHR is
no good to you, except for (probably) your local channels.

Note that linux drivers for the HD-PVR are not available (yet).

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?