[mythtv-users] hd homerun and STB

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 3 01:46:20 UTC 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 19:34:48 Anduin Withers wrote:
> > lol, yes I did that first, and I got the unencrypted channels, about 10
> > of them.  definately not worth what I paid for the box.
>
> The item you purchased doesn't do what you seem to think it does. Those 10
> channels you see are probably exactly what you are supposed to see. Hooking
> after the STB and expecting to tune, let alone, tune all 700 of those
> channels is something you should realize will not work.

Yea, the HDHR can receive off-air ATSC or unencrypted QAM from a cable system.

If you want to receive encrypted QAM signals you must use an STB and a capture
device that accepts the output of the STB, generally either baseband or
sometimes RF.

The HDHR is a great little device, but it has no decryption capabilities.

beww