[mythtv-users] What dual/triple-tuner setup is recommended for the switch to digital?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:15:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   What do I do when the switch to digital comes?
>>>
>> You do realize the broadcast switch next year does not directly effect
>> cable or satellite?
>>

> I am, but I think Comcast is already setting up to drop it. My
> reasoning being that a few months ago if we channel surfed on our STB
> channel changes were fast on the lower 80 channels but slow on the
> upper digital channels - something like <1 second vs greater than 2
> seconds. Recently Comcast here in our city started doing an upgrade to
> fiber. What I've noticed since that started coming up is that now all
> channels, lower and upper, are all switching in the same > 2 second
> range implying to me anyway that I'm watching digital cable on channel
> 2 when I'm watching my STB. Certainly the analog signal is still on
> the cable since my PVR's still work but next year they could just turn
> it off, if they choose, and tell me to buy or rent a converter.

So if the following info I found on the Comcast site is to be believed
and doesn't change between now and next year then there is no
requirement for me to do anything it seems:

<SNIP>
Title:
What do I need to do to prepare for the end of analog television broadcasting?
Answer:

If you are an existing Comcast customer, you don't need to worry -
Comcast has you covered.  If your television is connected to cable,
you will not have any impact and your TV will continue to work.

If you are a Comcast customer but have some TVs in your house that use
an antenna (rabbit ears), Comcast can connect those TVs to cable for
you.

If you only use a rooftop antenna (rabbit ears) to get your TV
signals, you will need to do one of the following:

    * Buy digital-to-analog converters to use with your current TV(s)
and antenna
    * Buy a new digital TV (still requires an antenna)
    * Subscribe to Comcast or another pay television service provider.
 Comcast has service options starting as low as $15 per month with no
equipment required.
<SNIP>

I could certainly look into an HDHR box as an addition to what I've got now.

Thanks,
Mark