[mythtv-users] What dual/triple-tuner setup is recommended for the switch to digital?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:49:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I would say it depends on the selection you want. I've been over the
> air for the last year and OTA-HD for the last 4 months. I don't have a
> ton of time to watch TV so I find plenty of stuff. I'm using a
> HDHomerun box for ATSC tuning but it will also do QAM as long as it's
> unencrypted.
>
> The FCC requirement does not apply to cable and satellite providers,
> just OTA transmissions, so it will not affect comcast. However, that
> doesn't mean that they will NOT change what channels are encrypted at
> any time...
>
> Richard

Richard,
   Much to learn. I need an acronym page.

   Over the air won't likely work for me for other than NBC which is
local here in the South SF Bay Area. CBS, ABC anc Fox are broadcast
out of areas that are dicey in my location. That said I was
considering getting one of the PVR Stick devices and trying on my
Windows laptop just to see where things work and don't work in terms
of OTA.

   None of that will keep my kid in touch with 'The Hills' so I'm
assuming I'll have to pay someone for content, be it Comcast or
satellite.

   ATSC and QAM I don't understand so off to Google on those.

Thanks,
Mark