[mythtv-users] hdmi and sound

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:06:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:58 AM, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> I have been using a vga cable and a cable from the sound card to the rca
> inputs on the tv. This has been working.
>
> I then replaced the vga cable with a hdmi(motherboard) -> dvi(tv) cable for
> the video. The video works but I now have no audio.
>
> The reading I have done on mythtv and the internet searches have mostly
> referred to using spdif for audio.
>
> Will analog audio not work if I am using the hdmi cable? If it will, can you
> point to some documentation.
>
> motherboard: M2A-VM
> tuner:             pcHDTV
> tv:                  samsung 46"
> mythtv:          0.21-191 from atrpms
> OS:                 fedora8
>
> Please advise if additional information is needed.

Most TV's that I have seen with an hdmi input also have a
corresponding audio input via rca. Is there a set of RCA inputs that
go woth the HDMI input?

If not there are other threads in the archives of this list dealing
with getting sound to work over hdmi, but it seems pretty hit and
miss, and dependent on the exact motherboard (from my casual reading
anyway, its not an issue that has concerned me greatly as I have an
external amp).