[mythtv-users] On-board video opinions ?

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:04:06 UTC 2008

2008/7/31 Kevin Bailey <ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org>:
> I'm putting together a new front-end and decided to go the
> dual-core in a briefcase route this time. I'd heard decent
> things about Linux support for the Intel chipsets so I
> looked at those first.
>
> It was easy enough finding a MB with a 945G chipset but
> finding a cheap CPU was harder. The cheapest Core 2 Duo
> that I could find was $120. I found this odd considering
> that you can get an Athlon 64 X2 that runs cooler (45W vs 65W)
> for half the price. Celeron DCs don't appear to have
> enough oomph and Intel doesn't appear to make anything
> in between.
>
> So I started looking at AMD MBs with nvidia chipsets.
> The trouble is, I have no idea which of these chipsets
> are any good. Can the 6100 do HD ? If so, then I could
> get a dual-core CPU and MB for around $80. Pretty nice.
> If not, what would you recommend ? I don't mind not
> having XvMC but want Xv.
>
> Also, does AMD have anything like Intel's sDVO board ?
> (Not that I can find any.) I'd like to run S-video for
> now but go back to VGA in a year or two. If any of
> these MBs have it built-in, that'd be great to know.
>
> Thanks!

Yesterday I pulled out my nvidia card in favour of using the on board
intel G33 (Asus P5K-VM mobo).  I experienced a few problems using the
"intel" xorg driver that I could not find immediate solutions for;

1. MythStream would not retain the image once I switched to
full-screen mode (screen went black - audio continued)

2. I had a thin blue line at the top of my live/recorded TV

3. My on-screen menu was twitchy (might have been a memory issue; I've
got a gig of RAM)

I put my nvidia card back in and switched the xorg back - the problems
above went away.

Just one guy's experience...

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine