[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jul 31 16:32:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Graham Wood wrote:

> I believe this was removed a while back (probably when BT went
> private).  You can now plug anything you like into the system, as long
> as you do so AFTER the master socket.

As far as I know, equipment still has to be BABT approved (prior to
privatisation, most phones were hard-wired rather than plug-in things
anyway).  I don't know how approval is enforced though - it might be
through your BT contract rather than by law.  Certainly, back around the
1995 era, BABT approved modems were 2-3 times the price of unapproved
ones, so a lot of people just (illegally) used the unapproved hardware.

> there's also interesting things to cover anything within the house that
> was not detailed on the paperwork when you bought it.  I think, in a
> silly way, you might even be able to sue the previous owner to get the
> cable removed if you weren't told it was there when you agreed to buy
> it.

Having just moved house a couple of weeks ago, I can tell you that all the
contracts state that you have a legal responsibility to take any contents
which has not been agreed to be left (of course, my new house had all
sorts of crap left in it anyway :).  And you get a bloody huge tick-sheet
saying what you're leaving and what you're taking (and yes, the tick sheet
even includes exterior doors and windows (!)).

> For example I think water companies can dig up any part of your house
> they like to fix a leak in one of their pipes - and you've agreed to
> that if you're on a mains water supply.

I suspect that isn't a legally enshrined right - it'll be allowed by
contract (at least, the covenant for my house requires me to agree to such
things and I wouldn't expect them to do that if they had the right
anyway).

> something to keep us interested
> while the weather is far too hot.

:)