[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 11:30:11 UTC 2008

2008/7/29 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>

> On Jul 29, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Steve Hill wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Andrew Williams wrote:
> >
> >> It's almost along the same lines of
> >> the open Wifi argument, the signals are on my property and open so
> >> why
> >> can't I use them legally? Again, theft of services.
> >
> > Well no, using a free wireless hotspot is not "theft of services" (and
> > yes, people _do_ provide legitimate free wireless hotspots).  The
> > 802.11
> > protocol even provides a method of telling people whether you are
> > providing a free hotspot or are running a private network - the
> > problem is
> > that some people set their router to advertise itself as a public
> > network
> > and then complain when people use it as advertised.

> This isn't the first time it's happened, either.

That is an American story though, this discussion is about virgin media in
the UK, the laws of the US don't apply, it's a different country.

However, the UK police/judiciary are just as stupid....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/21/wi_fi_squatting_arrests/

Mind you, that doesn't mention if any charges were actually brought, merely
that he was arrested.

Ian