[mythtv-users] Sound occasionally not present when I copy filesaway from mythtv

Bob Long bob at oblong.com.au
Thu Jul 31 09:54:57 UTC 2008

Edmund wrote:
> I am recording DVB-T (in the UK) from a number of identical Nova T 500
> cards. When playing back on my mythfrontend everything is fine.
> However I also like to watch from a windows XP computer. I have samba
> on the backend and I just watch the files from the network drive.
> Most of the time this works fine but every so often there is no
> sound. When I play the same file in mythtv there is sound. Does
> anyone have any idea what might cause this. Could it be some form of
> meta data that is used differently in XP and linux?

Similar problem here (Australia, DVB-T). I had been using Myth 0.20 until
last week. I had been using the Windows MythTV Player to successfully watch
things. Then I changed to MythTV 0.21 (fresh install of Mythbuntu on top of
fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04). Now MythTV Player hangs if I try to do a
commercial skip, or any other change of position.

So I tried going back to simply viewing over the network using Samba. I
prefer VLC, but it does not play sound (used to work for 0.20 recordings).
Nero Showtime, Windows Media Player 9, the old Windows Media Player (Ver 6)
all play sound (but they have other probems with blockiness, or aspect ratio
issues). Which is surprising, because VLC generally plays everything!

I'd like to get MythTV Player going again, but that probably should be a
different thread. Failing that, VLC would be good. I have the latest version
(0.8.6i); changing between audio tracks does not help (VLC reports mpga and
a52). The statistics indicate no audio is being decoded.

--
Bob Long