[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Thu Jul 31 07:26:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 02:30:33PM -0000, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> Well, the message in question came "From:" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> If that's all it takes to get spam onto the list...
That's what you saw.

What has to happen (for the mail to get through without being allowed by the list
administrators) is that it has to arrive at the listserver with a from address of someone on
the list.

Given that the list archives are public, it shouldn't be too hard (if you could be bothered)
to look through them to find an address that's valid.  At that point, as long as no spam
filters catch it, it'll get straight through.

This is a (sort of) fundamental flaw with SMTP/E-Mail - you can claim to be who you like,
and as long as you're not after the replies you'll probably get away with it.

I'm almost tempted to send this as george at whitehouse.gov, and see if the moderators let it
through ;)

P.S. As for non-registered addresses, yes they all get moderated.  As I'm sure you can all
work out, this is not my "main" address, but I have used that previously.