[mythtv-users] Minor Screen Refresh Visible

Petteri Matilainen pmatil at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 04:01:43 UTC 2008

C.T. Paterson wrote:
> 2008/7/30 Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu>:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 02:12:50PM -0400, C.T. Paterson wrote:
>>
>>> In addition to modeline, I've also used screen positioning as
>>> controlled through the TV (don't imagine a tube is clever enough to
>>> let you do that), and there are offsets that I've used in Setup ->
>>> Appearance.
>>>
>> A CRT is likely to have analog adjustment of the incoming
>> signal, but it may not be able to compensate far enough for a
>> major shift.
>>
>> Modelines don't help when you aren't running X (unless your
>> console mode is run by the framebuffer system, which is only
>> semi-common). On the other hand, how much time do Myth users
>> spend in console mode?
>>

> Far more than I'd like... *sigh*
>
> Due to issues that were more aggravating than seeing some refresh
> artifacts, I've put my nVidia card *back* into my machine - and the
> artifact returns.  I was using the exact same modeline for my o/b card
> - and had no refresh lines, so I'm convinced that the modeline is not
> the issue.
>
> It could well be power - and if so, I'm not sure there's much I can do
> about it other than stew.  I've had it since I built this machine over
> the Christmas holiday last year, and when I tried to tell the missus
> that I'd fixed it this morning; she had no idea what I was talking
> about.
>
> I've read the man pages on xorg.conf, and nothing jumped out, but if
> anyone knows of a "SubtleButAnnoyingRefreshLines" "False" option - I'd
> love to hear about it.
>
> Cheers.

Me too. As someone suggested in the first posts, it could be a sync
problem: refresh not synced to vsync (correct me if I remember wrong) so
I would like to ensure that this option is turned ON before I start
messing with modelines. nVidia-settings has a few tick-boxes regarding
it, but I'd like to add force lines to xorg-conf just to be sure.

-P.M.