[mythtv-users] Sound occasionally not present when I copy files away from mythtv

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 23:48:11 UTC 2008

On 30/07/2008, Edmund <edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> I am recording DVB-T (in the UK) from a number of identical Nova T 500
>  cards. When playing back on my mythfrontend everything is fine. However
>  I also like to watch from a windows XP computer. I have samba on the
>  backend and I just watch the files from the network drive. Most of the
>  time this works fine but every so often there is no sound. When I play
>  the same file in mythtv there is sound. Does anyone have any idea what
>  might cause this. Could it be some form of meta data that is used
>  differently in XP and linux?

Some DVB-T transmissions (common on the BBC) contain 2 MP2 audio
tracks - one regular audio track, and a second used for the hard of
hearing. Perhaps the wrong one is being used/selected during playback
or conversion? If you demux the file(s) in question, you'll find the
'good' track at 192kbps (usually) and the 'bad' track at 64kbps
(again, usually).

mythfrontend is good at choosing the correct audio track to use, but
other software may not be.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott