[mythtv-users] Sound occasionally not present when I copy files away from mythtv

Edmund edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jul 30 22:54:35 UTC 2008

I am recording DVB-T (in the UK) from a number of identical Nova T 500
cards. When playing back on my mythfrontend everything is fine. However
I also like to watch from a windows XP computer. I have samba on the
backend and I just watch the files from the network drive. Most of the
time this works fine but every so often there is no sound. When I play
the same file in mythtv there is sound. Does anyone have any idea what
might cause this. Could it be some form of meta data that is used
differently in XP and linux?

I also have a similar problem when I try and watch programmes on my
mobile phone. Both files in the original MPEG 2 played in windows. I
then converted both using a batch process in SUPER to H.264 at 320x240
with the same settings. Both have great pictures, but only one has audio.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Are there any tools to analyse
the audio on a file to view encoding rate, stereo or mono etc.