[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 22:46:18 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>>> Though I'm pretty certain that anyone can send an e-mail with an
>>> appropriate From: header (i.e. one that uses the e-mail of a subscribed
>>> member) .
>> Well, the message in question came "From:" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>> If that's all it takes to get spam onto the list...
>>> Fortunately, the mythtv.org spam filters catch 99.9999% of spam to the
>>> list.  I'm thinking Isaac mentioned getting some 100 spam messages to
>>> the list every 5 minutes or so (at least for a while).
>> Well, hopefully someone hasn't found a simple way to get past the filters.
>>
>> I don't mind getting one spam every month or so, but when you have to
>> start sorting through the crap to get the content, it's not worth it any
>> more.
>
> It was one e-mail.  I think if a spammer found the magic bullet, you'd
> never find this e-mail in all the junk that would be coming through.
>
> Mike

I have received several copies of the spam in question; none of them
had [mythtv-users] in the subject line, and all of them were addressed
to a gmail address OTHER than what I use on this thread.

Personally, it does not look to me like it came from the list.

Just my $0.02.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine