[mythtv-users] Which 3rd party repository should I use for Fedora 9?

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 21:47:14 UTC 2008

On 7/30/08, Carlos Javier Borroto <carlos.borroto at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in the process of testing waters with Fedora, I'm coming from
> Ubuntu(Mythbuntu), one of my main use of Linux at home is MythTV and
> reading about it in Fedora[1], I see MythDora should be my best bet,
> but I don't only use the PC for MythTV, so I want something I could
> upgrade to the newest version available at the time. MythDora doesn't
> seems to follow Fedora's releases, right now version 5 is based on
> Fedora 8.
>
> From the same guide it seems the other place where I can find rpms for
> MythTV is from atrpms.net, but I also found that many people use rpms
> for Nvidia and ATI cards, some multimedia packages, etc, from
> rpm.livna.org, which also have MythTV rpms, even when my experience
> with rpm is quite vague, I know that mixing several 3rd party
> repositories is not a good thing, so any advice which path should I
> take?
>
> I've been using Fedora for my backend for a while now (since about FC4 I
think).  After my system drive crashed, I reinstalled everything two weeks
ago, again using Fedora 9 (x64).  I followed Jarod's instructions and
enabled atrpms and freshrpms.  So far everything has worked well.  Jarod's
instructions still work well - and if anything things are easier now than
they were when he wrote them (the defaults for alsa, etc all seem to work
out the box now).

For a while (in my previous installation) I was having issues with nvidia
drivers from atrpms (during Axel's move to Greece) and switched to livna,
just for the video drivers.  Disabling livna by default and only enabling
for an nvidia update worked just fine.  Nowadays I find it simpler to just
use the nvidia drivers directly from nvidia than a packaged version.

So - my vote is atrpms.  And judging by the traffic on this list - most
people seem to do similarly.  Axel is very responsive to any issues and does
a great job.