[mythtv-users] Only 1348 pixels out of 1360 with Intel X driver (and mythstream is weird)

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 21:14:06 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:25 AM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for all the X whining I'm doing - I really only know enough xorg
>> to keep from drowning.
>>
>> I mentioned in another thread that I've removed my nvidia card from my
>> myth box in favour of the on-board intel G33.  It was mainly a power
>> concern, and I was using the VGA on the video card anyway.
>>
>> I've tweaked the xorg settings to get back to my 1360x768 display.
>> The modeline is taken from running "gtf" - my TV appears to be a lying
>> sack of dirt when it comes to EDIDs.
>>
>> Now, with my nvidia card, the modeline worked fine, and I got full use
>> of the screen on my TV.  Using my o/b intel, the screen content looks
>> fine, but I'm missing 12 vertical pixels and one horizontal pixel.
>> I've shifted the image around through my TV, such that I've got 6
>> black pixels on each side.
>>
>> I have confirmed that the TV itself is set to display at 1360x768
>> (been burned before), and that the GUI width/height is 1360x768 in the
>> Setup -> Appearance menu, with offsets of 0.
>>
>> One other interesting, and perhaps relevant fact -- since I've switch
>> the cards, I can no longer switch a mythstream feed to full screen
>> while watching it. It plays fine in its little box, but if I press
>> "Enter" ti go to fullscreen - it goes black...and stays black even
>> when I send it back to it's little box.  Playing my regular videos
>> (which also use mplayer) work fine.
>>
>> I've attached xorg.conf and xorg log (I didn't notice anything).  Can
>> anyone shed any light on this?
>>
>> Much obliged
>
> Have you played with the TV's controls? I found that there were
> controls on my panasonic lcd to move the image around (like you have
> on a monitor). Made me feel silly about playing with X for days to
> unsuccessfully try to get it right.

Yes, I have - and probably will do so again out of sheer insistence
that this problem is just too nutty to have happened legitimately.

Like I said, I've positioned the desktop so that there are six columns
of non-lit pixels on each side (so the image is centred at least - it
wasn't at first).  I've also confirmed that the TV rez is at 1360x768.
 I guess I'll make sure that there isn't a horizontal or vertical
stretch somewhere.

I just can't get away from the fact that the screen was fully used
while I was using my nVidia card, and that this happened after I
pulled it out in favour of my on-board intel.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine