[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 30 18:48:59 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 05:23:31 Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> >> I suppose it's also possible that Mythtv.org was infected, but that
> >> seems unlikely.
> >
> > The list has been infected, this thread is the symptom. As with many
> > diseases
> > the behavior of the infected victims helps to spread the pestilence.
> >
> > Let's ignore it, discussing it can't possibly help.
>
> Well it might help.
> My concern is: does the list require you to sign up in order to post?
> If anyone can post to the list without signing up, this is a bad thing and
> can lead to more spam. I suspect this is the case, since most spammers are
> too lazy to keep signing up.
>
> If it's an open list, then I'll probably quit.  My spam filters catch
> 99.9% of spam, but won't catch any coming in from MythTv.org
>
> My preference for avoiding spam is higher than my desire to be on this
> list.

AFAIK you must sign up in order to post. I have sometimes accidentally sent
from the wrong account and the post was rejected.

You could change your anti-spam setup to filter list messages. I haven't
bothered as the volume of spam on this list is far less than the number of
messages talking about it :-)

beww