[mythtv-users] OT: Spam?

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Wed Jul 30 10:11:52 UTC 2008

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Petteri Matilainen <pmatil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Just received a mail from mythtv-users at mythtv.org, titled
>> "[mythtv-users] Anjelina Jolie XXX Video Free." Why does mythtv list
>> send spam? The mail says I have subscribed to MSN featured offers. I
>> didn't know I did, and even if I had, this is clearly a virus-spam
>> message. How to disable these in the future? List configuration
>> doesn't say anything about this.
>
> The email almost certainly has a forged header in attempts to get past
> your spam filters.  In other words, if you go to "Show Original" and
> study the header, you will likely find it didn't actually come from
> mythtv.org at all.

Actually, it DID come from Mythtv.org

     by mail.vanderwal.us (My pet Mail Daemon) with ESMTP id EDE0B21C6DD
     for <peter at vanderwal.us>; Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:31:05 -0700 (MST)

I run my own mail server and I track the IP addresses that mail comes from.

Either mythtv.org allows anyone to post to the list (unlikely), someone
signed up to send us the spam, or it was sent out by a virus on a members
computer.

According to the headers, MythTV received the message from:
ABTS-KK-Dynamic-067.14.171.122.airtelbroadband.in (unknown [122.171.14.67])

Any members in New Deli, India?

I suppose it's also possible that Mythtv.org was infected, but that seems
unlikely.