[mythtv-users] Minor Screen Refresh Visible

Petteri Matilainen pmatil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:01:44 UTC 2008

Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:28:44AM -0400, C.T. Paterson wrote:

>>> You could certainly be running with a modeline that your LCD
>>> does not quite like. I just acquired an LCD, and discovered that
>>> the NVidia built-in 1920x1080_60 mode was horrendously
>>> overscanning horizontally. The manual contained all the required
>>> timings, though, and I built a perfect modeline out of that.
>>>
>> If you're inclined, Dan, I'd be interested to know how.  My knowledge
>> of modelines is pretty slim - and while my manual has a bunch of
>> information in it - I wouldn't know how to construct a modeline out of
>> it (although gtf seems to have served me well).  I'm merely curious.
>>

> What LCD do you have? Is the manual online? I'd be happy to
> help.
>
> An X modeline is not black magic; it's a list of timings, mostly
> in terms of pixels:
>
> Rate HDisplay HSyncStart HSyncEnd HTotal VDisplay VSyncStart VSyncEnd VTotal
>
> You know the HDisplay and VDisplay fields immediately: those are
> the visible pixels. The Rate is the pixel clock, in millions per
> second. That should be in the manual.
>
> Manuals like to specify FrontPorch, BackPorch and Sync;
> considers there to be offsets to add to the previous entry, so
> we get:
>
> HDisplay
> HSyncStart = HDisplay + FrontPorch
> HSyncEnd = HSyncStart + BackPorch
> HTotal = HSyncEnd + Sync
>
> Then, for vertical timing, it works out the same way.
>
> Adding +/- HSync and +/- Vsync flags indicates the polarity of
> the signals; again, that should be in the manual.
>
> -dsr-

Sorry to jump in, but I have a 16:9 CRT TV, for which I don't know the
correct timings. "Standard PAL" from mythwiki is not it, because there's
too much overscan IMO and the picture is not centered (seen when in 4:3
mode). I'll have to play with modeline when I have the time. Don't know
how modeline affects the vertical "artifacts".

-P.M.