[mythtv-users] help with pchdtv hd-5500 installation

JA Coody jacoody at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:38:46 UTC 2008

 I think I finally know the problem with my installation but I have no idea
how to fix it.  I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-19 i think).  When
I have a clean image with clean modules, I get the following for cat
/proc/asound/cards (from memory)

         0    M1010LT
         1    Conextant cx88
         2    Conextant cx88_1

Under this configuration, the analog tuner of the card shows nothing but
static on every channel but the sound works and is captured in the backend
under /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2.

When I upgrade the v4l-dvb drivers using the following method

     sudo apt-get install gcc linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic mercurial
     hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
     cd v4l-dvb
     make && sudo make install && sudo reboot

the analog portion of the card works but cat /proc/asound/cards shows only

      0  M1010LT

and the sound is not captured because /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 does not
exist.  This is because module cx88_alsa is not loading.    When I try and
sudo modprobe cx88_alsa I get a FATAL error complaining about version not
agreeing.  Apparently the update to v4l-dvd does not also update the
cx88_alsa module.

I am not a linux guru and really need some help with this.  Does anyone have
an idea of how to fix this?

Thank you,
JA